Today, after 20 years, Bhubaneswar has completely gone dark. There is no electricity since the last 12 hrs, no connectivity to internet or no signals in the phones. Today, perhaps the most severe super cyclone has struck us as at 1:15PM today, winds had crossed the speed of 200kmph. Today, the night is dark and scary. The winds outside are cold. Today, Bhubaneswar was struck in full force.
What I observed today:
1. Every National Media House which covered Odisha extensively for Election were nowhere to be found. No flash news. No updates.
2. Every local media house risked their reporters in the eye of the storm, where they could have lost their lives. Hats off to their courage but real stupidity by the channel owners.
3. India doesn't care about Odisha. It's just a differential vote region.
4. Indians pour their heart and money out for Notre Dame in France, Floods in Chennai and Kerela but nothing during Odisha all over the years because it just another oppressed part of Bengal.
5. No contribution messages in various Apps.
6. Not a single message/tweet from the ministers at the centre. Maybe Odisha is back to being Non-existent as the elections are over.
7. Extremely amazing work by the disaster management team throughout the state to keep the casualties below 20 as of now. The entire team, along with the police and a lot of workers of the ruling party have helped in clearing the road post cyclone. A lot of students and volunteers have done some commendable work in the shelter and relief centres .
Odisha, once again has shown the country, without crying for help, how to overcome disasters and take timeline precautions in case of severe calamities. Tomorrow no one will give credit to it and it will battle another cyclone very soon without anyone's help.
My dear people of Odisha,
Be brave. Be proud. Be safe. Take care.
This too shall pass.